Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Yummy--serve with hushpuppies, grits, and coleslaw.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs catfish fillets
- 1 egg, beaten
- garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Heat a heavy skillet with 1-inch of oil.
- Wash the catfish.
- Beat the egg.
- Lightly pepper and garlic salt the fish.
- Mix the flour and cornmeal together; add salt and pepper to flour mix and stir to combine.
- Dip the catfish in egg.
- Dip in the breading twice.
- Put the fish in hot oil.
- Cook until golden brown and tender in the middle, about 8-12 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Optional: Sprinkle with Louisiana hot sauce.
This was very good. The amount of cayenne and garlic wasn't specified so I was fairly liberal with it. It fried up nice and crispy, and was very flaky inside. I cut one filet up and breaded it, and my 3 year old loved it, thanks.
Very yummy! Easy, quick, and versitile recipe. Thanks!