Finger lickin' good! This recipe is simple to prepare and deliciuos to eat! Adapted from Veg For Life!
- 1 lb firm tofu, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 1⁄2 cups nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 2⁄3 cup milk (preferably non-dairy)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour, as needed (or white)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, more or 1 tablespoon less as needed for browning tofu
- Cut the tofu horizontally into three equal slabs. Wrap each slab in a clean tea towel or paper towel and press the toful for 45 minutes. If time does not permit, wrap tofu and press gently to extract as much moisture as possible.
- For seasoning mix; place the nutritional yeast, salt, herbs, and spices in a wide, shallow mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Stir the milk and lemon juice together in a small mixing bowl. Place the flour in mixing bowl.
- Cut each slab of tofu into 4 triangles, making a total of 12 in all. Working with one piece at a time, dredge the tofu in the flour. Shake off any excess. Now submerge the tofu in the "soured" milk. Coat the tofu in the seasoning mix.
- Coat a large skillet with vegetable oil and heat over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add the tofu pieces in a single layer. Cook until bottoms are well browned, then turn pieces over and cook until browned. Add more oil between batches and adjust the heat as necessary.
- As soon as tofu is removed from the skillet, place it on a plate lined with paper towels and blot off excess oil. Serve and enjoy!