Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe won the Southern Living Cook-Off 2003. Prep time is estimated as you have to be able to coordinate a bit but I'm sure you will love it once you try it!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded romano cheese (2 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped vidalia onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil
- 4 large boneless chicken breast halves, with skin
- 4 slices ready to serve bacon
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup baking mix (BISQUICK Original)
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- canola oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, halved vertically
- 1 large red sweet bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon morton kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- release non-stick aluminum foil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- black pepper
- Stir together first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Set aside.
- Place chicken, skin side down, between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4" thickness, using a mallet or rolling pin.
- Spread 1/4 of cream cheese mixture on skinless side of each chicken breast half; top with 1 piece of bacon.
- Roll up chicken, jellyroll fashion, lifting skin and tucking roll under skin.
- Whisk together egg and milk in a bowl.
- Combine baking mix, Creole seasoning, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Dip chicken rolls in egg mixture; dredge in baking mix mixture.
- Pour oil to depth of 2" in a large skillet; heat to 350F.
- Fry chicken rolls, in batches, 10 to 12 minutes or until dark brown and done, turning chicken rolls often.
- Drain on wire rack over paper towels.
- To make the gravy: Dice 1 onion half; set aside.
- Cut remaining onion half into slices.
- Place onion slices and bell pepper, cut sides down, on a baking sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil; drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Broil onion slices and bell pepper halves 5 inches from heat about 10 minutes or until bell pepper looks blistered.
- Place bell pepper halves in a freezer bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skin.
- Peel bell pepper halves; finely chop 1 bell pepper half.
- Reserve and set aside chopped bell pepper and remaining pepper half.
- Finely chop roasted onion slices, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add reserved diced onion, and sauté 10 minutes or until onion begins to brown.
- Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, until flour mixture is caramel-colored (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in chicken broth and Creole seasoning.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Process gravy mixture and reserved bell pepper half in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Combine gravy mixture, chopped roasted onion, reserved finely chopped bell pepper, basil, and black pepper Spoon 1/4 cup Roasted Red Pepper-and-Vidalia Onion Gravy on each of 4 individual serving plates; top with 1 chicken roll.
- Drizzle with additional gravy.