Recipe by Jessica K
This is another recipe I grew up with. This is passed down from word of mouth, no one has ever written it down before! Fresh, fried okra is soo simple to fix and soo good!
- 1 lb fresh okra, cut into pieces (don't use the top of the stem but the bottom is wonderful to eat)
- 2 -3 cups cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 2 cups buttermilk (regular or lowfat milk is fine, too)
- salt and pepper
- In a big bowl beat egg with a fork, pour milk in and combine. Pour the cornmeal in another big bowl.
- Pour enough oil in a big skillet, halfway up, or you can use a deep fryer. Set heat to Medium-high.
- Put some okra pieces in milk mixture and then coat in cornmeal batter. Fry in skillet 10-15 min, occasionally turning/stirring them around. They are done when crispy and golden brown but not black!
- Drain on paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (i don't use pepper but some people prefer it).
- Repeat with rest of okra till all gone. Enjoy!