Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Southern Classic!
- 2 lbs okra, well rinsed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups smashed saltine crackers (cornmeal size)
- black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Cut the stems off and slice okra 1/4 inch thick.
- In a large bowl mix together the egg, water, buttermilk and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Add okra.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, cracker crumbs, remaining salt and the cayenne and black pepper.
- Remove okra with a slotted spoon and add to flour mixture, toss and remove to a rack to shake off excess flour.
- Heat the oil to 350.
- Add the okra by spoonfulls and fry to golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Keep warm while you fry remaining okra.
Okra is the most awful thing on the face of the earth when raw, but by gosh, when it's cooked like this it is totally marvelous. Thanks, DiB's, for posting this one.