Recipe by ~Nimz~
This is truly one of our family's oldest and dearest recipes. Great for a Sunday dinner.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
This was made on 9/10/09 as part of mine and SO's dinner. Since there was just the two of us, only 1 chicken was used. And I made the rest of the recipe as follows: for the egg mixture, 1 egg and 1/4 cup of milk. For the coating, the full amount of flour was used, for the seasonings I just shook in a little bit of each one till "it smelled right " ( I know that sounds strange but that's how I do it ;) ). I fried this in a regular skillet, using the directions in Step 5, and it worked just fine. And I of course made the gravy, if you serve fried chicken and mashed potatoes you have to have gravy ,it's a law :). I have to tell you, this is the first time I've ever fried chicken and it turned out done in the center and crispy on the outside. Very good flavor ,and just the right amount of stuff to lick off your fingers. Yummers !!!! .This will be made again. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 broiler-fryer chickens, cut up (3-3 1/2 lbs each)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon browning sauce (optional)
- fresh oregano (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl beat milk and eggs.
- In another bowl, combine seasonings and flour.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and then in flour mixture.
- Melt shortening in 12" iron skillet.
- Brown chicken on both sides, cover and cook over low heat for 45 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm, reserving 1/4 cup drippings for gravy Gravy: Stir flour, salt and pepper into reserved drippings.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Combine milk and water; add to skillet.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add browning sauce if desired.
- Serve gravy with chicken and garnish with oregano.