Recipe by keen5
This chicken is crispy and the best I've eaten! It is important to follow the instructions on when to cover or uncover chicken during frying. That's what makes it crispy. To me, this is the ultimate comfort food with the delicious cream gravy. Prep and cook times are approximate.
- 1 chicken, cut up into separate pieces (about 3 lbs.)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup light cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- vegetable oil
For Cream Gravy
- 2 tablespoons reserved fat, from skillet
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and dry chicken pieces; shake in a bag with flour, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Dip coated pieces in cream in pie plate; then dip in remaining flour mixture again to coat evenly.
- Pour enough oil into a large skillet to make a depth of 1".
- Heat over moderate heat to 375 degrees on deep-fat frying thermometer (if you have one).
- If not, just test heat by sprinkling a drop of water into grease, if it pops, it's ready enough.
- (Stand back, so you don't get splattered).
- Add chicken, skin side down.
- When underside of chicken starts to brown, lower heat and partially cover skillet with lid.
- Turn chicken pieces after 15 minutes.
- Continue cooking second side, uncovered, until browned and chicken is tender, 10 minutes longer.
- Drain on paper toweling, keep warm.
- Serve with Cream Gravy, if you wish.
- For Cream Gravy: Pour off fat from skillet, leaving brown bits; return 2 tablespoons fat to pan.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons flour; heat until light brown.
- Remove from heat; gradually stir in 1 cup light cream.
- Return to heat; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- If too thick, add more cream.
- Taste; add salt and pepper as needed.
- Makes about 1-1/4 cups.