Recipe by bullwinkle
I found this recipe years ago in a magazine. Not sure which one.Doesn't not include time for the overnight sitting or for preparing the gravy. When I put the water in I keep the lid in my hand to put it on the skillet immediately so I don't get burned.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- shortening, for frying
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons chicken pan drippings
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay chicken pieces in a shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day pour off all the accumulated juices.
- Pat chicken dry with paper toweling.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper and roll in flour.
- Melt shortening 1 inch deep in skillet.
- Cook chicken 30 minutes on each side or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Add water.
- Put on skillet lid and let stand until fat stops sputtering.
- Drain on paper towel.
- In skillet put chicken grease, 1/4 cup flour.
- Stir until flour is brown.
- Add 2 cups water, salt, and pepper.
- Heat and stir slowly until gravy thickens.