I modified my mothers recipe which she used for years. It is not as greasy as some of the fast food chicken places.
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Pour buttermilk into a small bowl.
- Dip chicken into buttermilk, covering all surfaces.
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper and pour into a 1 gallon zip lock bag, place dipped chicken into flour mixture and close bag.
- Shake bag well making sure all surfaces are covered with flour.
- Heat 3/4 inch of oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Shake chicken again and put into oil, brown lightly on both sides, reduce heat to medium low and cook chicken to 180 degrees internal temperature on an instant read thermometer, turning frequently.
- cooking time may vary slightly depending on your heat setting.