I modified my mothers recipe which she used for years. It is not as greasy as some of the fast food chicken places.
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Pour buttermilk into a small bowl.
- Dip chicken into buttermilk, covering all surfaces.
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper and pour into a 1 gallon zip lock bag, place dipped chicken into flour mixture and close bag.
- Shake bag well making sure all surfaces are covered with flour.
- Heat 3/4 inch of oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Shake chicken again and put into oil, brown lightly on both sides, reduce heat to medium low and cook chicken to 180 degrees internal temperature on an instant read thermometer, turning frequently.
- cooking time may vary slightly depending on your heat setting.
Oh Jim~this is delicious. It's New Year's Day here on the farm, and we wanted.....well something to that was just fun to eat as a family and would bring us good cheer and good luck. Yesterday I had purchased a large amount of chicken drumsticks, and these were perfect. Fat and big and budding with tender meat, I had the uncontrollable urge to just make "fried" chicken. I didn't however have self rising flour, but added 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder right in with the flour. Other then that, this guided us to comfort and soul reaching for this first day of the New Year. Unbelievably great! Thank you so much, Jim! Happy gardening in 2008! :D
Excellent! I made this a little different, meaning I am on a low fat diet, so I boil my chicken first, then batter & fry it, turned out great, I will make it again for sure
I`m not a fan of frying foods because of the mess and the extra fat. So I made little changes. I added 1 tablespoon old bay to the flour for a little kick! I fried the chicken browning on both sides. Then placed on a rack on a cookie sheet pan. Finished cooking in the oven. The fat drained away from the chicken. The chicken was moist inside and crisp out! Thanks to you for the great fried chicken and your Mom for passing it on to you. She did good by you! Happy 75th Birthday Jim!!!!