Prep 55 mins
Cook 40 mins
An unusual way to prepare Southern Fried Chicken -very tasty! Recipe from Southern Living Magazine.
Make and share this Southern Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cut up fryer chickens (about 2 1/2 lbs ea.)
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add water to cover.
- Add vinegar and 1/4 c salt and let stand 30 minutes, then drain well.
- Stir together flour and next 6 ingredients.
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2" into a Dutch oven and heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry chicken in batches, 9 to 10 minutes on each side or until done.
I made this on 1/10/11 for mine and SO's dinner.Since there was just the two of us,a couple of boneless skinless chicken breast were used.I adjusted the ingreadients as follows, 2 Tblsp. vinegar,1 1/2 tsps. salt and 3/4 cup of flour.For the rest of the dry ingredients except for the garlic salt I just gave a couple of light shakes of each one. And as for the garlic salt I used garlic powder instead.The chicken was pounded thin so it would be more evenly cooked.Fried for about 6 to 8 minutes on each side until golden brown.Since I was serving mashed potatoes, a gravy was made using the leftover flour and pan "drippings ". Both my SO and I really enjoyed the "umph " that came from the poultry seasoning.We both give this a good " solid " four star rating. Thanks for posting and " Keep Smiling :) "