Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good ole comfort food at its best.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs frying chickens
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- Rinse chicken and pat dry; set aside.
- Fill a large deep fry pot or electric skillet to no more than half its depth with oil.
- Heat oil to 325°F to 350°F.
- In bag, combine flour and seasonings. Shake chicken, one piece at a time, in flour mixture until coated.
- Dip in egg mixture, then shake again in flour mixture until completely covered.
- Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, skin side down, for 10 to 14 minutes. Turn and fry chicken 10 minutes, covered, then 3 to 5 minutes, uncovered, or until chicken is tender and juices run clear.
- Drain on paper towels. Let stand 7 minutes before serving.