2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
From Louis Osteen's Charlston Cuisine, Recipes from a Lowcountry Chef." His restaurant is Louis's in Charlston. This has buttermilk, flour, cornmeal, rice flour, beer, some spices and is fried in peanut oil. Can use 8 (4 oz. each) fillets or 4 (8 oz. each) fillets. You need 2 hours of marinating and then 3o minutes chilling so prepare accordingly. I can't wait to try this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine buttermilk and beer in a nonreactive bowl.
- 2Add the catfish fillets and refrigerate for 2 hours, BUT NO LONGER.
- 3Combine cornmeal, all-purpose flour, rice flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
- 4Drain fillets and toss them lightly in the breading mixture to coat them.
- 5Place the breaded fillets in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and don't let the fillets touch. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 6Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- 7On the stove, pour enough oil into a heavy skillet so that it is 2 inches deep and heat it so that it is 355 degrees F. on a frying thermometer.
- 8Carefully drop fillets in, 2 at a time and fry them for about 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until they are just golden.
- 9Remove the fillets with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to drain.
- 10Transfer the fillets to a platter and keep warm in the preheated oven until they are all fried.
- 11Work quickly so that they don't get overdone and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Fried Catfish
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 658.8
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 108.9 mg
- Sodium 3687.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 44.9 g