Recipe by MSippigirl
This is a family favorite cabbage recipe. The cabbage is cooked down with tomatoes, seasonings and smoked sausage for a hearty and delicious meal-in-itself. Serve with cornbread.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 small green cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb smoked sausage, sliced (I like Conecuh, Original)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I like Hunt's Petite Diced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Seasoning, to taste (optional)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop/slice the sausage, cabbage, and onion.
- In a large non-stick skillet, pre-cook the sliced sausage about 3 minutes to render some of the fat out. Remove sausage from skillet and drain on paper towels if needed. Set aside. Wipe the skillet clean.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter. Add cabbage and onion and cook and stir on medium-high for about 5 minutes, until cabbage starts to wilt.
- Add remaining ingredients, and the sausage.
- Cover the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover, and finish cooking until cabbage is desired tenderness and most of liquid has been reduced.