Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a family favorite cabbage recipe. The cabbage is cooked down with tomatoes, seasonings and smoked sausage for a hearty and delicious meal-in-itself. Serve with cornbread.
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 small green cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb smoked sausage, sliced (I like Conecuh, Original)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I like Hunt's Petite Diced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Seasoning (or to taste) (optional)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Chop/slice the sausage, cabbage, and onion.
- In a large non-stick skillet, pre-cook the sliced sausage about 3 minutes to draw some of the fat out. Remove sausage from skillet and drain on paper towels if needed. Set aside. Wipe the skillet clean.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter. Add cabbage and onion and cook on medium-high for about 5 minutes stirring til cabbage starts to wilt.
- Add remaining ingredients, and the sausage.
- Cover the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover, and finish cooking until cabbage is desired tenderness and most of liquid has been reduced.
I just made this recipe and its out of this world!!! Inexpensive with ingredients I already have on hand!
This dish tasted wonderful and was easy to make and healthy all at the same time. We rushed right out and bought another cabbage. Can't wait to make it again!
Easy to make and my whole family loved it. Definitely will make again. I used turkey sausage and Rotel tomatoes. I also added two cloves of minced garlic. Great recipe!