Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I just came up with this creation about 3 days ago. I was so good and I found out that bacon fat REALLY does add FLAVOR to your dishes. This has all the flavor and more. Everything is blended together in a medley of flavors! I hate to brag... but this one is no. 1!
- Render fat from bacon (more rendered bacon fat may be needed if you wish to use any two larger heads of cabbage).
- Remove bacon from skillet and chop into bite size pieces. Set aside and let drain on paper towels.
- Shred cabbage as if making coleslaw.
- Slice onions into thin half moon.
- Saute cabbage and onion in bacon fat until lightly browned.
- Mix bacon pieces in with cabbage and onions. Set aside and let drain on paper towels.
- Peel potatoes. Dice into bite sized pieces.
- Season chicken with Soul Seasoning and pepper (or whatever you have around).
- Fry until well browned in skillet with bacon fat.
- Add chicken broth, bouillon cubes, potatoes and water.
- Boil until chicken well tender.
- Set aside two chicken halves to cool.
- Shred into chunky bite sized shreds.
- Add chicken, potatoes, cabbage mixture and 2 cans of northern beans.
- Boil all until rendered down into thick gravy like consistency.
- Let cook until chicken is tender and all flavors are well blended, at least for 1-1 1/2 hours extra. Remember the longer you cook this, the better it is going to taste, so a crock pot would be "PERFECT" for this particular dish.
- NOTE: If dish is too fatty for you.
- After and only after frying the chicken, you may take a paper towel and take the grease out of the pan, if you are cooking in a skillet or pot of some kind do not clean the skillet.
- You will need all the flavor on bottom of pan for flavoring.