2 hrs 45 mins
lynda clark's Note:
I just came up with this creation about 3 days ago. I was so good and I found out that bacon fat REALLY does add FLAVOR to your dishes. This has all the flavor and more. Everything is blended together in a medley of flavors! I hate to brag... but this one is no. 1!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Render fat from bacon (more rendered bacon fat may be needed if you wish to use any two larger heads of cabbage).
- 2Remove bacon from skillet and chop into bite size pieces. Set aside and let drain on paper towels.
- 3Shred cabbage as if making coleslaw.
- 4Slice onions into thin half moon.
- 5Saute cabbage and onion in bacon fat until lightly browned.
- 6Mix bacon pieces in with cabbage and onions. Set aside and let drain on paper towels.
- 7Peel potatoes. Dice into bite sized pieces.
- 8Season chicken with Soul Seasoning and pepper (or whatever you have around).
- 9Fry until well browned in skillet with bacon fat.
- 10Add chicken broth, bouillon cubes, potatoes and water.
- 11Boil until chicken well tender.
- 12Set aside two chicken halves to cool.
- 13Shred into chunky bite sized shreds.
- 14Add chicken, potatoes, cabbage mixture and 2 cans of northern beans.
- 15Boil all until rendered down into thick gravy like consistency.
- 16Let cook until chicken is tender and all flavors are well blended, at least for 1-1 1/2 hours extra. Remember the longer you cook this, the better it is going to taste, so a crock pot would be "PERFECT" for this particular dish.
- 17NOTE: If dish is too fatty for you.
- 18After and only after frying the chicken, you may take a paper towel and take the grease out of the pan, if you are cooking in a skillet or pot of some kind do not clean the skillet.
- 19You will need all the flavor on bottom of pan for flavoring.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Fried Cabbage Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (738 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.0
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 1164.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 20.9 g