Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Souther Fried biscuits and apple butter are a great compliment to fried chicken, mashed potatos etc.
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons active dry yeast (2 2/3 packages)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 7 -9 cups flour
- apple butter
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add and combine sugar, shortening and salt.
- Add flour until mixture has a good dough consistency.
- Knead for 5 minutes and let rise until about 1 1/2 times.
- (45 min) don't let it rise to high.
- Roll out and cut into biscuits.
- (Alternatively, you can form into biscuits prior to rising and Freeze individually. Don't allow them to rise to high when defrosting) Heat oil in deep fryer to about 355 degrees but no hotter or biscuits will come out with a soggy center.
- (note use fresh oil as biscuits will take on flavor of other foods that may have been cooked in the oil otherwise) Drop biscuits in oil and fry for 8 to 10 minutes.
- They should be medium brown and done through.
- Do not crowd too many biscuits in the oil at one time.