Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
VERY good. The recipe says to serve it with pistou, another recipe I posted here, but I personally didn't like that combination--much too oily. I would recommend a cooler, creamier dipping sauce for this, whatever you like.
- 1 lb zucchini, grated
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- oil, for shallow frying
- salt and pepper
- Put the grated zucchini in a strainer over a bowl and sprinkle with plenty of salt. Let the zucchini drain for about an hour, then rinse thoroughly. Pat dry on paper towels.
- Put the flour into a bowl, with a small well in the center. Add egg yolk and oil, mixed together.
- Measure 5 tbspn. water and add a little to the bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolk and oil together, gradually incorporating the flour and water, which should make a smooth batter. Add more or less flour and water, if necessary.
- Season the batter as desired and allow to sit for 30 minutes (this is important).
- Stir the zucchini into the batter.
- Whisk the egg white until stiff, and then fold into the batter.
- Heat 1/2 inch of cooking oil in a frying pan. Add spoonfuls of batter and fry until golden, turning with tongs as necessary.
- Drain fritters on paper towels and serve.