Recipe by Mrs Goodall
I adopted this great recipe...original text was....A fluffy meringue type frosting, similar to 7 minute frosting but doesn't require beating over the stove.
Top Review by Teresa M
This is truly an Awesome frosting, the best white frosting I've ever had or made! It’s not overly sweet, tastes delicious, is a dream to work with, and has a very pretty shine to it. The recipe says for 1 cake, but not what size cake. I had enough to do two double 9-inch layer cakes. So if you’re making one two-layer cake I’d suggest halving it. We talked about whether to pitch the rest of it, or to make another cake and it is so good I did opt to make a second cake. Thank-you Mean Chef for sharing this recipe!
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sugar, corn syrup and boiling water in a 3 qt saucepan over moderate heat.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- When mixture comes to a full boil, remove from heat and set aside briefly Beat egg whites with salt to stiff peaks.
- Transfer hot syrup to a pitcher for easy pouring.
- Beating at high speed, pour hot syrup in a thin threadlike stream into the whites.
- Pour slowly and scrape down sides if necessary to keep the entire mass well mixed.
- After all of the syrup has been beaten in, add vanilla and almond extract.
- Continue beating for 10-15 minutes on high until icing is very stiff.