Recipe by Lennie
Suggested in a 1959 book as a terrific beverage to serve at a New Years Day Open House party. I don't know why it was given the "Southern" designation.
Top Review by Bogey'sMom
This is incredible. I had to use instant pudding because I didn't have the other kind, so I didn't cook it - just whipped the eggs. I also substituted milk for the cream because of calories. Unbelievable. Truly close to the store stuff I love so.
- 1 package vanilla pudding mix, the kind you cook
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 quart milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup peach brandy or 1⁄4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine pudding mix, sugar, and 1/4 cup of the milk in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Add slighly beaten egg yolks and blend well.
- Then add remaining milk; mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil, about 10 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into cooled pudding mixture.
- Add vanilla and brandy; then chill several hours.
- Just before serving, whip the cream.
- Spoon onto eggnog and sprinkle with nutmeg.