Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Southern Creamed Corn Recipe courtesy The Neely's
- 8 ears corn, husked
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, cut the tip off cob. Cut the kernels from cob with a small paring knife. Using the back of the blade, scrape against the cob to press out the milky liquid.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, and salt and pepper, to taste. Combine with corn. Add the heavy cream and water. Mix.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat bacon grease. Add corn mixture and turn heat down to medium-low, stirring until it becomes creamy, about 30 minutes.
- Add the butter right before serving.
This was very good! The only change I made was to use about four cups of frozen sweet corn instead of fresh off the cob. The creamy mixture did not get as creamy as I would have liked and I think next time I will add a bit more flour! Thanks cookie for posting a great recipe!