Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Watching my grandpa make cornbread over the years I am now soo sad I never asked him for the recipe, that and his biscuits are now lost forever, I am trying to recreate them and this is the closest I've come to the cornbread. Though it is nowhere near what he made. It is a tweaking of several recipes and of what I remember, and do not add sugar!! I will cry if anyone does!!
- 3 tablespoons shortening (I use crisco butter flavor, or bacon drippings are awesome, too!)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Put the shortening in a cast-iron skillet and place in the oven till melted.
- Combine the cornmeal and flour. In seperate bowl whisk eggs until foamy then whisk in buttermilk. Add the rest of the dry ingredients to the cornmeal mixture.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix should be pourable. Take the hot skillet from the oven, pour the batter into the hot pan directly onto the melted hot shortening, this is what makes it sooo yummy!.
- Place back in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown or when knife inserted in center comes out clean.
It turned out delicious. I did add one tbsp of sugar (I grew up on Jiffy. I had a hard time imagining cornbread with no sugar!). It was great and I think next time I'll be ready to completely omit the sugar. We did not have a skillet so I used an aluminum pan and it worked well.
This is an excellent Southern Cornbread recipe. It turned our a little too salty for me, so I think when I make it the next time (and there will be a next time) that I will decrease the salt a little. Thanks for a good moist cornbread recipe!
Absolutely perfect cornbread. I didn't change a thing. I've been looking for this recipe for years! I didn't grow up making cornbread like so many lucky southern girls do. This recipe got stuck on the inside of a cabinet door - where all the keepers go - until I learn it by heart. Which I will. Thanks!