Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Catfish Institute.
Crunchy Corn Relish
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 ears corn, kernels cut from the cob
- 1⁄4 cup minced red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced green onion
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- salt and pepper
Southern Cornmeal-Crusted Catfish
- 4 u.s. farm-raised catfish fillets
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup nonfat yogurt or 1⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- To make Crunchy Corn Relish: Melt butter in a large skillet. Add water and corn; cover and simmer for 4 minutes. Stir in red pepper and cook for 1 additional minute. Add green onion, half-and-half, and salt and pepper to taste.
- To make Southern Cornmeal Crusted Catfish: Stir together buttermilk or yogurt and hot sauce; brush on catfish and allow to marinate for 10 minutes. Coat catfish lightly with cornmeal and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When skillet is hot, sauté catfish about 3 minutes on each side, turning only once, until golden and crisp. Serve with relish. Makes 4 servings.
wow..awesome inviting dish..
Outstanding recipe. A very nice change from fish with tartar sauce or lemon sauce. I used buttermilk for the marinade, and Louisiana Fish Fry mix for the cornmeal (it's a combination of cornmeal and cornstarch). I made the relish as written using frozen corn. The only thing I will do different next time is eliminate the half and half so there is nothing "runny" in the relish when we put it on the fish. DH said this was the best meal he's had so far on the World Tour.
wow! I have only just seen the photo, and its just to die for - now all I have to do is try it. it looks just so great -congratulations