Recipe by wife2abadge
I got this from the cookbook The Best Light Recipe.
Top Review by Kitty Z
This was pretty good. It did come out a little dry and crumbly for me (and even with spray, it absolutely refused to turn out of the pan; I just served it in that). But for 90 calories a slice, you can't complain. :) The flavor is good, I think using all cornmeal really helps. Thanks!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray a 9-inch round cake pan or 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Measure 1/3 cup cornmeal into a medium bowl.
- Whisk the remaining 2/3 cup cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Pour the boiling water all at once into the 1/3 cup cornmeal and stir to make a stiff mush.
- Whisk in the buttermilk gradually, breaking up lumps, until smooth, then whisk in the egg and melted butter.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the mush mixture until just moistened and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the bread is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and flip the cornbread onto a wire rack.
- Turn the bread right-side up, cool for 5 minutes, and slice.