Recipe by "Miz" D
I learned to make this cornbread from my maternal grandfather. In fact my grandparents have the date of the first time I made this imprinted in a section of concrete that they were smoothing out as they shouted the recipe to me through the window. I was 7 years old at the time!
Top Review by JaeElle
This bread didn't really work for me. I followed the recipe exactly, but it didn't have the crunchy edges I was looking forward to. Overall, it's fine as long as you don't want the crunchy outside.
- 3 cups cornmeal (I use Three Rivers)
- 3 cups sweet milk or 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (I use Duke's)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons self rising flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put 1 of the tablespoons of oil and a pat of real butter in a black iron skillet.
- Place in oven to melt butter.
- In the meantime, place the cornmeal and flour in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg and then add mayo, the remaining oil and milk.
- Stir this together and then add to dry ingredients.
- Take the skillet out of the oven and pour the cornbread mixture into the sizzling butter. Place back in oven and cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- When done, invert on a plate or keep in skillet.
- Slice a piece and slather butter on it.
- Eat and enjoy. ( or for a special treat, crumble into a bowl while still warm and add some cold milk.) YUM.