"Miz" D's Note:
I learned to make this cornbread from my maternal grandfather. In fact my grandparents have the date of the first time I made this imprinted in a section of concrete that they were smoothing out as they shouted the recipe to me through the window. I was 7 years old at the time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Put 1 of the tablespoons of oil and a pat of real butter in a black iron skillet.
- 3Place in oven to melt butter.
- 4In the meantime, place the cornmeal and flour in a mixing bowl.
- 5In a separate bowl, whisk egg and then add mayo, the remaining oil and milk.
- 6Stir this together and then add to dry ingredients.
- 7Take the skillet out of the oven and pour the cornbread mixture into the sizzling butter. Place back in oven and cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- 8When done, invert on a plate or keep in skillet.
- 9Slice a piece and slather butter on it.
- 10Eat and enjoy. ( or for a special treat, crumble into a bowl while still warm and add some cold milk.) YUM.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.5
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 36.0 mg
- Sodium 94.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 7.6 g