Recipe by echo echo
Adapted from the Southern Comfort Recipe site, with a few changes. One pound chopped smoked ham can be substituted for sausage. For a stronger tomato taste, add 1 small can of low-sodium tomato paste with the chicken stock. You can also use boiled rather than raw shrimp to save some trouble. I'm somewhat guessing at preparation and cooking times. I almost always cook with low-sodium ingredients and let people add salt at the table, if desired; however, this need not be made with low-sodium ingredients if you prefer otherwise.
Top Review by ellie_
Delicious!!! I made this for dh's birthday and we all loved it, plus it was very easy to make, following the directions as written. The only change I made was using some fresh oregano and using a large can of tomatoes (28 oz). Thanks for sharing this keeper!
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 lb boneless chicken
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped scallions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cups converted rice or 1 3⁄4 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 (15 3/4 ounce) fat-free low-sodium chicken broth or 2 cups low-sodium chicken bouillon
- 3⁄4 cup Southern Comfort
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, sauté sausage in oil until lightly browned.
- Remove sausage from pot and sauté chicken until cooked.
- Remove chicken and sauté bell peppers through garlic until tender.
- Add tomatoes (with liquid) through hot pepper sauce and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice.
- Add chicken stock through worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and add sausage,chicken and shrimp.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30-45 min until rice is done and shrimp is cooked. (If additional liquid is needed before rice is done, add a 50/50 mixture of water and Southern Comfort).