Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Slow Cooking'
- 5 -6 lbs collard greens
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, finely diced
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Remove the coarse stems and center ribs from the collard greens, then rinse and drain the leaves.
- Dry completely and coarsely chop.
- In a small frying pan over med-high heat, warm the oil.
- Add the pancetta and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- To cook on stove top--In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add the greens to the pot, decrease heat to med-high, cover partially, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 45 minutes.
- To cook in slow cooker--transfer the greens to a slow cooker and add 4 quarts water.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are very tender, 2 hours on LOW.
- In any liquid remains, drain the greens before transferring them to a serving bowl.
- Season with pepper and stir in the reserved pancetta and red pepper flakes; serve warm.