1 hr 15 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Slow Cooking'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove the coarse stems and center ribs from the collard greens, then rinse and drain the leaves.
- 2Dry completely and coarsely chop.
- 3In a small frying pan over med-high heat, warm the oil.
- 4Add the pancetta and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 6 minutes.
- 5Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- 6To cook on stove top--In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- 7Add the greens to the pot, decrease heat to med-high, cover partially, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 45 minutes.
- 8To cook in slow cooker--transfer the greens to a slow cooker and add 4 quarts water.
- 9Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are very tender, 2 hours on LOW.
- 10In any liquid remains, drain the greens before transferring them to a serving bowl.
- 11Season with pepper and stir in the reserved pancetta and red pepper flakes; serve warm.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Collard Greens
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.1
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 60.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: