Recipe by Bogey'sMom
Greens have traditionally been cooked down in water with a piece of smoked ham hock or turkey wing. This new method of wilting them leaves them greener and tastier.
Top Review by Red Hook
Excellent recipe. I made it almost exactly as written and it was pretty much perfect. I will drain some fat next time, as it didn't really need that much. I added maybe 1/2c water to the pot to speed along the wilting process with steam. A !
Directions See How It's Made
- Put greens through several sinks of cold water to get rid of any grit.
- Pull the tender leaves away from the stems, discarding the stems.
- Cut the bacon into bite size pieces and fry in a large stock pot.
- Do not drain.
- Add the onion and cook til tender.
- Add the collard greens (the pot will seems overflowing, but they wilt) and stir until wilted (cover them every couple of minutes for a couple of minutes to help wilt them).
- Add salt and pepper to taste and the vinegar.
- Serve hot.