Recipe by Mercy
My version of the Irish colcannon...pure comfort food and you don't even have to break a sweat! I usually steam the cabbage and leeks over the cooking potatoes in my pasta pot with steamer insert (saves burners and energy--two birds, one stone). Diced and fried bacon, ham, corned beef or seasoned ground beef may also be added to make it a main dish feast!
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup leeks or 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook the potatoes, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and drain.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the cabbage with the leeks, uncovered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes more or until tender and drain.
- Mash potatoes and stir in milk and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the butter and drained cabbage.
- Stir until all the butter is melted and mixture is combined.