Recipe by FloridaNative
I found this recipe on a can of evaporated milk many years ago, and I make up many batches each year to take to parties and give as gifts at Christmas. These are wonderful.
Top Review by bizlas
This is an EXCELLENT recipe! I have used this recipe (which comes on the back of the bulk pecans I buy at Sam's) at Holidays and everyone loves them! They go fast so definitely make 2 batches!!!
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups shelled pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, combine evaporated milk, sugar, water and vanilla.
- Heat mixture, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cinnamon and stir. Some may float on top.
- Add 3 cups of pecans to mixture and stir to cover.
- Continue stirring pecans in mixture until pecans become coated well and mixture cooks away (gets absorbed/crystalized on the the pecans).
- Spread hot coated pecans on wax paper; try to separate them as you spread them on the paper.
- Let pecans cool completely.
- Break apart pecans and store in air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.
- To give as gifts, put in decorative glass jars or decorative tins lined with wax paper.
- NOTE: I've tried using brown sugar (1:1 with the white sugar), but the pecans have a tendency to come out sticky and the sugars don't get 'crystalized'. I have not tried these with turbinado or unbleached cane sugar yet. If they don't turn out right, I'll have to keep them for myself !