Recipe by Desert Mermaid
This is a really yummy Chicken & noodle casserole. Especially good , if you love sauteed mushrooms as I do. I got this recipe from about.com .I highly recommend . Simple, easy and good. I served it with garlic bread and it would be great with a salad too. I used about a breast and a half of left over boneless breast chicken from fried chicken the night before. I omitted the pimientos .
Top Review by VanillaPotter
This was a good, basic casserole. My boyfriend loved it, which surprised me because he usually doesn't like anything with a white sauce. The pimentos is what really made this dish. Just for our own preference I put in about a half teaspoon of garlic powder and (because we love cheese!) I sprinkled about a half of a cup of cheddar cheese on top of the casserole before putting it in the oven. Next time I think I'll stir some in as well. Thanks for a simple and yummy recipe!
- 8 ounces egg noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup butter (8 ounces)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, chopped (2 ounce jar , drained)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions and drain. Meanwhile , in a large skillet , melt butter iover low heat. Saute mushrooms . Blend in flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually add broth, milk , pimiento, salt and pepper, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened. In a buttered ( or pammed) 2 1/2 quart casserole , combine noodles, chicken and sauce. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over top . Bake chicken noodle casserole 20 to 25 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.