1/3 Photos of Southern Chicken Fried Steak
Southern Lady's Note:
It took me many tries before I felt I had a really good Chicken Fried Steak. This fries up extra crispy, so I pour a little gravy on the plate and place steak on top. This way you get to enjoy the crispy with the gravy and your steak coating won't get soggy. Enough gravy for mashed potatoes, too! I hope you like it as much as we do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 pieces cube steaks, cutlet
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk (Pet or "like")
- 5 dashes hot sauce
- canola oil or vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1In medium bowl, place first 7 "dry" ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- 2In another medium bowl, place the next 4 "liquid" ingredients and use whisk to mix well. Set aside.
- 3Carefully transfer dry mixture onto a dinner plate.
- 4Start heating oil of your choice to a medium high heat in large skillet (Cast Iron is true Southern style).
- 5The oil should be about 1/4" to 1/2" deep and should not cover the entire cutlet.
- 6Take a cutlet and dredge in flour mixture.
- 7Take same cutlet and dip in egg mixture until entirely coated.
- 8REPEAT dredging same cutlet in flour mixture.
- 9Repeat process for each cutlet.
- 10Discard unused egg and flour mixtures.
- 11In well heated oil, carefully place cutlets and fry until golden brown on bottom.
- 12Turn each cutlet over to brown the other side.
- 13Each side should take about 4 - 5 minutes.
- 14Place fried cutlets on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- 15Pour off all but 1/4 C grease from skillet.
- 16Heat to a Medium High temperature.
- 17Slowly add Flour whisking until well blended. (Don't use leftover flour/cornmeal mixture).
- 18When the color slightly begins to darken, slowly add milk.
- 19Continue whisking to prevent lumps.
- 20Gravy will begin to bubble and thicken.
- 21Add evaporated milk and whisk well.
- 22Add chicken stock and whisk well.
- 23Add Salt and Pepper, blending well.
- 24Allow gravy to simmer 2 minutes on low heat.
- 25Turn off heat and allow to sit 2-5 minutes before serving.
- 26Gravy will thicken nicely.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Chicken Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.9
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 123.7 mg
- Sodium 752.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: