Recipe by LisaGay
This is a recipe I remember my mother making, since I was a child. Now DH loves it as much as I do. Its comfort food at it's finest! Great on a cold night. I like to serve it with garlic-mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, and French bread to sop-up the gravy. Mmm.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine seasonings and flour.
- Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a heavy skillet or Dutch oven, brown chicken pieces in hot oil, over medium-high heat.
- This will probably have to be done in two batches.
- Return the chicken to skillet and add water.
- Bake in preheated 325°F oven, covered, for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken to platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Skim fat off of drippings, if desired.
- Evenly sprinkle flour over drippings while whisking.
- When incorporated, whisk in milk and bouillon cube.
- Simmer over a low to medium fire, stirring often, until thickened.
- Serve the milk gravy over chicken and garlic-mashed potatoes.