Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 red serrano chili, seeded and crushed (we skipped when making for children)
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
For the batter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 pint oil, for frying
- parsley sprig
- wedges tomatoes
- Place chicken in a shallow dish or bowl.
- Mix orange juice, chile, garlic and parsley together, and pour over the chicken.
- Stir, cover lightly, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Make batter by sifting flours into a mixing bowl, then stir in the peppers.
- Make a well in the center and add the egg.
- Gradually add the milk, drawing the flour in from the sides of the bowl to form a smooth batter.
- Let stand for 30 minutes, then stir well just before using.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees in the fondue pot, and carefully place over the lighted burner.
- Place the chicken in serving bowls and garnish with parsley and tomato.
- Thread the chicken onto fondue forks, dip into the batter, and cook in the hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and tomato.
- Serve with corn relish, corn fritters and corn bread.