1 hr 20 mins
A wonderful Chicken and Dumpling recipe cooked Southern Style!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1House Seasoning is wonderful to spice up any recipe so keep some in your pantry; Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months; Yield 1 1/2 cups.
- 2To start the chicken: Place the chicken, celery, onion, bay leaves, bouillon, and 1 tsp.
- 3House Seasoning in a large pot.
- 4Add 4 quarts of water and in water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 5Simmer the chicken until it is tender and the thigh juices run clear, about 40 minutes.
- 6Remove the chicken from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and separate the meat from the bones.
- 7Return the chicken meat to the pot.
- 8Keep warm over low heat.
- 9To prepare the dumplings: Mix the flour with the salt and mound together in a mixing bowl.
- 10Beginning at the center of the mound, drizzle a small amount of ice water over the flour.
- 11Using your fingers, and moving from the center to the sides of the bowl, gradually incorporate about 3/4 cup of ice water.
- 12Knead the dough and form it into ball.
- 13Dust a good amount of flour onto a clean work surface.
- 14Roll out the dough (it will be firm), working from center to 1/8-inch thick.
- 15Let the dough relax for several minutes.
- 16Add the cream of celery soup to the pot with the chicken and simmer gently over medium-low heat.
- 17Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces.
- 18Pull a piece in half and drop the halves into the simmering soup.
- 20Do not stir the chicken once the dumplings have been added.
- 21Gently move the pot in a circular motion so the dumplings become submerged and cook evenly.
- 22Cook until the dumplings float and are no longer doughy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 23To serve, ladle chicken, gravy, and dumplings into warm bowls.
- 24Cook's Note: If the chicken stew is too thin it can be thickened before the dumplings are added.
- 25Simply mix together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water then whisk this mixture into the stew.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Chicken & Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 722.6
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 138.0 mg
- Sodium 29975.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 42.5 g