Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My sister-in-law works at a Southern restaurant in Mississippi, and surprisingly they have chicken curry on the menu. She got the recipe from the owner, and it's become one of my favorite chicken curry recipes. There's nothing Southern-tasting about it, but you'll be licking the flavorful sauce off of the plate. Try to use a high-quality curry powder, as it really makes a difference. I also like serving this with shredded coconut and chopped green onions.
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 59.14 ml onion, minced
- 29.58 ml curry powder
- 44.37 ml flour
- 3.69 ml salt
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- 2.46 ml fresh ginger, minced
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml 2% low-fat milk
- 453.59 g skinless chicken breast, diced
- 2.46 ml lemon juice
- In a saucepan, melt butter and saute onion with curry over low heat.
- Blend in flour, salt, brown sugar, ginger, and chicken. Keep cooking for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add broth, stir and bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add milk and lemon juice, and stir constantly for 1 minute, or until warm & ready to serve.
This is a nice, quick, easy meal. I did think that an entire cup of milk was too much. I would try it with less next time. Thanks for posting!
This was very easy and very tasty. Made for Rookie Recipe Tag Fall 2013.
This is a very simple curry compared to the ones that are usually prepared in this house, but that's not to say that we enjoyed it any the less.
I think that this would be better with the chicken pre-cooked, shredded and then added to the sauce, but that's just my humble opinion.
I also think the sauce on it's own would be great spooned over chicken stir fried noodles ( something my children enjoy), or as a dipping sauce for deep fried battered chicken pieces ( a favourite in British Chinese takeaways!)
The whole family enjoyed this quick, mid week supper - with no complaints from the peskies ( aged 6 and 8 ) who cleared their plates!
A satisfying and tasty meal...thanks for sharing.
Made for PRMR.