1/2 Photos of Southern Chicken and Dumplings
2 hrs 15 mins
Yum. Cooking time approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine chicken, salt and pepper in a large pot and cover with water. Cook until chicken is tender.
- 2Remove chicken from water.
- 3Remove bone and skin.
- 4Set chicken aside (while chicken is cooking, prepare dumplings.).
- 5Dumplings: In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and shortening with a fork.
- 6Add egg and 1/2 cup milk; mix to form dough.
- 7Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on floured surface.
- 8Cut into four-inch strips with sharp knife.
- 9Drop dumplings into simmering chicken broth.
- 10Cover and simmer until dumplings are done.
- 11Add chicken to dumplings and 1 cup milk.
- 12Cook slowly for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 784.7
- Calories from Fat 450
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 202.0 mg
- Sodium 1223.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 45.5 g