Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Yum. Cooking time approximate.
Make and share this Southern Chicken and Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- Combine chicken, salt and pepper in a large pot and cover with water. Cook until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from water.
- Remove bone and skin.
- Set chicken aside (while chicken is cooking, prepare dumplings.).
- Dumplings: In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and shortening with a fork.
- Add egg and 1/2 cup milk; mix to form dough.
- Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on floured surface.
- Cut into four-inch strips with sharp knife.
- Drop dumplings into simmering chicken broth.
- Cover and simmer until dumplings are done.
- Add chicken to dumplings and 1 cup milk.
- Cook slowly for 10 minutes.
this was yummy, I added a can of corn and can of peas to mine to make it more of a chicken dumpling soup and it was yummy
This is just how Momma made them back home in the Eastern TN mountains!
This is the real thing! Thanks for bringing back memories. I've looked quite a while for a chicken 'n' dumplings recipe that doesn't use a can of cream soup. I'm not sure if it is a myth or not, but according to my grandma you should never open the lid of the pot until the dumplings are done because or the won't be fluffy. I think this is because the steam cooks them (if it is true at all...) You never know!