From John Edge's "A Gracious Plenty: Recipes and Recollections from the American South" Serve with cornbread.
- Wash the catfish fillets and cut them into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Fry the bacon for 2 to 3 minutes in a large heavy saucepan; add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add the fish and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Correct the seasonings if necessary and serve hot with cornbread.
Simply D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!! I cooked this dish for my gilrfriend, she couldn't get enough of it. Had my mom taste it, when she said "BOY! that was good!!" I knew I had a winner; she's a professional cook/caterer.
Very tasty and easy to fix.
I made this tonight, so good. I hate when people add and take away but I did just a little and it was umm umm good. used canned potatoes sliced 3 cans drained instead of fresh. also used chicken broth 2 cans instead of water. 2 lbs of catfish instead on one. at the end after it was all done added 1/4 cup of heavy cream and 1/2 stick of real butter. served with ritz crackers. oh my it was good.