Recipe by bengi
From John Edge's "A Gracious Plenty: Recipes and Recollections from the American South" Serve with cornbread.
Top Review by fpaige65
Simply D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!! I cooked this dish for my gilrfriend, she couldn't get enough of it. Had my mom taste it, when she said "BOY! that was good!!" I knew I had a winner; she's a professional cook/caterer.
- 1 lb catfish fillet
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the catfish fillets and cut them into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Fry the bacon for 2 to 3 minutes in a large heavy saucepan; add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add the fish and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Correct the seasonings if necessary and serve hot with cornbread.