Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Caramel and Apple YUMMMM!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled and very coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 24 caramel candies, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 13X9-mch baking dish.
- Whisk flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl. Melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in brown sugar and granulated sugar with spoon. Add egg and vanilla; stir until well blended. Add flour mixture; mix well. Press into bottom of prepared baking dish; top with apples.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until edges are browned and pulling away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Toast pecans in medium nonstick skillet over medium- high heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly, or until fragrant. Remove from skillet; set aside. Wipe out skillet with paper towel. Heat caramels and milk in same skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over cooled apple bars; sprinkle with pecans. Let stand 30 minutes before cutting into bars.
There are only a couple bars left as of the next morning. It was a HIT! I followed the directions exactly. Until I came to the nuts. I was out of pecans and thought sliced almonds would go well. They did. :) I toasted them and the flavor was perfect! I will have to grab a bar before DH and the kids make it home from school. Made for the September NZ/Aussie recipe swap.