Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I don't have a Bread Maker and I was out of eggs, yet wanted dinner rolls! I found this recipe on allrecipes.
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Mix together flour, sugar, salt and instant yeast.
- Mix in Shortening.
- Mix in Water.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 20 minutes.
- Cover dough with vegetable oil, cover and let rise for one hour.
- Form 24 smooth round rolls and place in greased 13x9" baking pan.
- Let rise again for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes.
I made these because my sister in law who has an egg allergy was coming. I was surprised that the taste is pretty good. I think they could use some milk in place of the water for some protein (cause there is no egg in this recipe). If not some milk, then some bread flour or wheat gluten added. I thought they were a bit on the soft side, and I like them a bit chewier. But still a great recipe. Next time I am just going to tweak it slightly. This is a good recipe for a first time roll/bread maker. I got about 19-20 from this recipe because I made slightly larger rolls. Thanks for the recipe!