Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
From the Bounty of Biltmore Cookbook. Very, very good.
- 2 large baking potatoes, unpeeled and cubed
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and coarsely crumbled
- 2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Place potato cubes in a large saucepan;cover with water.
- Boil 15 minutes to til tender.
- Drain and cool.
- Melt 1/4 c butter in a heavy sauce over medium-low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 1 min.
- Gradually add milk and half& half; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheese, italian seasoning, and pepper, stirring constantly until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat.
- Layer half each of egg slices, bacon, and cheese sauce in a lightly greased 13 X 9 X 2 inch baking dish.
- Top with potato.
- Top with remaining egg slices, bacon and cheese sauce.
- Combine breadcrumbs and 3 T melted butter; sprinkle over casserole.
- Cover and chill overnight, if desired.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator.
- Let stand at room temperature 30 mins.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Garnish, if desired.