1 hr 15 mins
True comfort food for any Southerner. This recipe is the closest I have come to my Maw-Maw's recipe. From FoodTV.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups stale French bread, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3Place stale bread in a bowl with milk and squeeze the bread with your hand until well saturated with milk.
- 4With an electric mixer on high speed in a separate bowl, beat eggs with sugar until thick and pale.
- 5Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter.
- 6Add the soaked bread crumbs to the egg mixture and stir well.
- 7Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 8It is important to allow enough time for the bread to absorb the egg mixture or the bread crumbs will float to the top during baking, leaving a layer of custard on the bottom of the dish.
- 9Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish.
- 10Bake until firm, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- 11Allow to cool.
- 13With an electric mixer, beat egg yolks until thick and pale.
- 14In a saucepan, melt the butter and sugar.
- 15Pour the butter and sugar mixture over the egg yolks, beating constantly with the mixer, until well thickened.
- 16Stir in bourbon by hand.
- 17Serve over slightly cooled bread pudding.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 773.5
- Calories from Fat 278
- Total Fat 30.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 205.8 mg
- Sodium 619.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 67.2 g
- Protein 11.4 g