Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Black-eyed peas, rice, corn and bell peppers make this the perfect southern dish.
- 14 1/2 ounces each reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 16 ounces drained and rinsed black-eyed peas
- 1 cup diced red and yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup bottled herbs or 1⁄2 cup low-fat Italian vinaigrette dressing
- Bring the broth and 1/4 cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over a high heat. Stir in the rice and cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and the broth is absorbed. Combine the black-eyed peas, bell pepper, celery and green onions in a large mixing bowl. Add the warm rice and the vinaigrette and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately or cool and serve at room temperature.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 241; Total Fat 7 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 873 mg; Carbohydrate 38 g; Fiber 3g; Protein 8g.