1/7 Photos of Southern Black-Eyed Peas
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
These are just the best black-eyed peas I've had. Ordinarily I would use fresh jalapeño peppers,but the pickled worked very well in this. I like to serve this with Southern Cornbread made in a cast iron skillet. Served this on New Years day for good luck.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add peas to a large dutch oven.
- 2Add chicken stock, water, onions and ham hocks.
- 3Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour.
- 4Remove lid and add chopped garlic and jalapeños, cover and simmer another 30 minutes or until they are tender.
- 5Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Remove ham hocks before serving. (You can add the meat from the hocks if you desire. I don't).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Black-Eyed Peas
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.3
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 124.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock