Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
From About Southern U.S. Cuisine website. This recipe makes some delicious black-eyed peas for New Years Day or anytime of the year. A true southern delight. Note: you can use chicken broth in place of some of the water for more flavor.
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large ham hock
- 2 -4 slices bacon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, cover peas with water to 3 inches over the peas.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, then simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place ham hock, sliced onion, bacon, pepper, garlic and salt in the slow cooker/crock pot.
- Pour in 3 cups water.
- Cover and cook on HIGH until peas are tender and ready to go into the crockpot.
- When peas are tender, transfer to the slow cooker/crock pot.
- Reduce heat to LOW; cover and cook for 7 to 9 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with hot cornbread.
My family and I really enjoyed this recipe!!!! I will be cooking this again, love it!!!!
Delicious flavor and tender peas. I have been eating canned peas every New Years but the flavor is gritty. This recipe is easy and the flavor is amazing.
I just added a lil sugar and it was perfect