Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I normally don't use a recipe for my biscuits,but I've learned from experience that the recipe on the bag of flour does not make the best biscuits. Here is an approximate recipe.
- Mix flour and shortening in a mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and stir.
- Start out with a little and add more as you need.
- The dough should be wet and gummy.
- THEN, sprinkle a little flour on top and work it in with your hands.
- Then flip the dough and do the same on the other side. Continue to do this until the dough isn't sticky on the outside, it doesn't take much.
- Then flour your hands and take a small amount of dough and roll it into a ball, then place on a greased cookie sheet or baking pan and flatten slightly into a biscuit shape. When you've finished with the dough, b ake the biscuits in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes, just until they start to brown, then take them out and preheat the broiler, and then stick the biscuits back in until they are brown.
- You can brush them with melted butter if you like. This may take some practice, but after a few times you will know what the consistency of the dough should feel like. I hope this works for you.
This is a very easy and quick recipe. The biscuits very light and fluffy. Yumm. I did have to adjust the ingredients becasue I live in the desert and more moisture is needed. (I added extra shortening)
I have been looking all over for a simple recipe for biscuits...This is it!!! I have made the best biscuits ever with this recipe...Thank You soooo much. They were light and fluffy and a little crispy on top...Just the way my husband and I like them! :)
These were very tasty. Thanks,