Recipe by Porfavorcorona
Found in every “Beer Joint” in the South, these are the real thing, spicy and sour!
Top Review by MarshHen
OMG, I can't believe I've found this recipe after all these years! As a kid growing up there was a corner store in our neighborhood that was run by an elderly couple who raised chickens and made these pickled eggs and sold them in their store. Dad and I loved them and he would buy them for us when we would stop in now and then. They gave my mom the recipe and she & I would make them as well, but the recipe was lost over the years, and I just couldn't recall all the ingredients. I raise chickens now and have wished many times that I had this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing.
- 24 eggs
- 6 cups cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mace
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cardamom seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon clove
- 10 small hot red peppers
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook eggs in simmering water for 15 minutes.
- Place eggs in cold water and remove shells.
- Pack into sterilized jars.
- In a kettle combine vinegar, spices and sugar.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour hot liquid over hard boiled eggs.
- Place lid on jar and store in refrigerator when cooled.
- Use within a month.