Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
I know this sound weird, but trust me--these are a real treat.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 10 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of mild picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven or stock pot. Cover with water 2-inches above the beans. Bring to a boil. Once it boils, remove from heat, cover, and let sit 1 hour.
- After the 1 hour. Drain the beans; add the 10 cups of water and the vegetable oil to the beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the onions and the next 8 ingredients bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered 1 1/2 hours.
- To serve, ladle beans into individual serving bowls and top evenly with cheese.
I did like the flavor of the dish. A very easy recipe to prepare....I would however, do the soak overnight thing with the beans. Will make again. Thanks!