Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an old southern recipe I got from my grandmother. It is super good served with a warm marinara sauce too.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- 2⁄3 cup non-dairy coffee creamer or 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 eggplant
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- Slice eggplant, not too thin, and place in a colander.
- Salt and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Combine milk and eggs; beat into dry mixture.
- Dip eggplant into batter and fry in oil at 375° until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, serve warm.
I used milk and then we layered some of it with marinara sauce and mozzarella and baked to melt the cheese. Some we just ate plain. Either way this stuff is addicting and wonderful! Thanks for posting another great recipe. :-)